Supervisor of Student Services
Location: All Schools
Competition #: 13288
Open To: Everyone
Date Posted: June 2nd, 2021
Closing Date: Open Ended
Are you looking for an educational leadership opportunity in northern Alberta? Northland School Division is seeking an advocate for Indigenous Education and a supporter of First Nations, Métis and Inuit (FNMI) language and culture to help us lead the way in First Nations and Métis Education. Applications are invited for a qualified educator to fill a 1.00 FTE position effective August 2021. This is a 12-month position outside of the collective agreement that will be based in a Northland community.
We are looking for individuals who will provide a strong FNMI perspective, have successful experience in Aboriginal and rural communities, and school-based leadership who embraces diversity and learner differences and promotes equal opportunities for all learners. This position will build on the current strengths of the schools to work towards literacy and language improvement through common Division goals and initiatives, including:
- FNMI learner success,
- Literacy, and
Fluency in the language and experience in Cree and/or Dene culture is an asset.
This position will be of interest to innovative and enthusiastic individuals willing to participate in improving and expanding educational services within the Division. The successful candidate will be expected to work cooperatively with other members of the Student Services Team and Division Leadership to provide quality service to our staff and schools. Frequent travel to designated schools is a requirement.
The individual selected will provide support and assistance to school-based staff in:
- Integration of inclusion
- Supporting a comprehensive and coordinated approach to mental health services
- Embracing diversity and learner differences and promotes equal opportunities for all learners
- Excellent understanding of program of studies K-12
- Guidance and mentorship of school-based administrative teams
- Fostering learning communities
- Planning and delivering in-services to professional and paraprofessional staff
- Extensive knowledge of individual program plan (IPP) development and implementation is a basic requirement for this position.
- Work directly with school principals, teachers and education assistants in schools, to model and build capacity in classroom practices.
- Experience in and familiarity with informal and formal psycho-educational testing is also a requirement.
- Ability to work with various government and health education agencies would be assets for this position.
- Excellent organizational and time management skills
- Knowledge of principles of Professional Learning Communities
Further qualifications and/or qualities essential to are:
- A valid Alberta Teaching Certificate
- Valid driver’s license
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Ability to interact with administrative staff, parents, support agencies, and local school board committees
- A minimum of 5 years teaching experience
- A minimum of 2 years administrative experience
- A Master’s degree in Education or equivalent/relevant graduate coursework.
Interested applicants are asked to forward a letter of application, with the names of three (3) professional references, to: Wesley Oginski, Associate Superintendent of Human Resources, Northland School Division, 9809 77 Avenue, Peace River, Alberta T8S 1V2. Phone: (780) 624-2060. Fax: (780) 624-5914. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Open until a suitable candidate is found.
We thank all applicants for submitting applications. However, only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted. References of shortlisted candidates may be checked prior to interviews.