Executive Secretary to the Board and Corporate Services
Location: Divisional Office
Competition #: 7647
Open To: Everyone
Date Posted: February 26th, 2019
Closing Date: Open Ended
Northland School Division No. 61 is seeking a person with proven experience providing executive level secretarial services to an elected Board and senior administration. Experience working with First Nations and Metis cultures would also be an asset. The incumbent should be a strong advocate for First Nations and Metis education, language and culture to help us lead the way for Indigenous education.
The key component of this position is providing management and leadership skills to ensure the effective operation of the Board. It requires working closely with the Board, Secretary/Treasurer and other senior administrative positions, both internally and externally with our many partners. The incumbent also provides administrative and office support to the Board and Secretary/Treasurer. In addition, the incumbent shall be responsible for the supervision of the administrative assistant; supervisory and effective teamwork would be essential.
It is preferred that the successful candidate operate out of our Peace River office; however, alternate arrangements would be considered for a well-qualified applicant at one of our sub offices in Edmonton, Wabasca or Fort McMurray, after a training period. The position is Monday to Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 pm, one Saturday per month required for Board meetings and may include some other evenings and weekends due to Board events. Time in lieu is provided for weekend and evening work.
Responsibilities will include:
- Most duties are related to the effective operation of the Board such as, but not limited to, preparing the agendas and supporting document packages for board and other meetings, taking minutes during meetings, ensuring follow up is completed on actions from meetings and drafting of correspondence.
- Researching, compiling and preparing reports, presentations, correspondence and other documents as necessary for Board and Secretary-Treasurer.
- Provide support to the Chair, managing correspondence, calendar, events, reminders of deadlines, etc.
- Assisting and coordinating the organization of special events that involve the Board.
- Covering for the Executive Assistant to the Superintendent in their absence
- A diploma in office or business administration or an acceptable combination of education and progressively responsible experience
- Expertise: Extranet, Google suite and Microsoft Office (word processing, spreadsheet, database and presentation software). Envisio would be preferred, but not required.
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience in a senior secretarial position.
- Experience working with an elected Board.
- Experience working with First Nations and Metis cultures or a willingness to learn and understand.
- Minimum of 80 words per minute typing skills.
- Experience with digital tools and social media would be a benefit.
The successful candidate will possess the following skills and attributes:
- Ability to establish positive working relationships with others
- Strong communication, management and organizational skills
- Pays close attention to detail
- Able to work independently and be able to meet deadlines
- Ability to maintain confidentiality
- Ability to work well under pressure, and maintain professionalism at all times.
Salary range: $46,536.00 - $61,552.00 per annum, dependent upon qualifications and experience. A comprehensive benefit package is provided.
Interested applicants are asked to submit a resume including the names of three (3) employer references to: Diane Holt, Human Resources Administrator, Northland School Division No. 61, P.O. Bag 1400, 9809 77 Avenue, Peace River, Alberta T8S 1V2. Phone: (780) 624-2060. Fax: (780) 624-5914. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Competition open until a suitable candidate is found.
Kindly note that offers of employment will be conditional on receipt of a satisfactory criminal record check. We thank all applicants but only those candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.