Message from Superintendent of Schools - COVID-19 (Coronavirus)
Posted on March 15
Update March 15, 2020
Dear Parents, Guardians and Staff:
Today (March 15, 2020), The Government of Alberta, Alberta Health Services and Alberta Education announced that all K-12 schools in Alberta will be cancelling classes indefinitely. School and Division operations will continue and staff are expected to report to work on Monday, March 16, 2020.
We recognize the impact this will have on students, families and staff. Today’s decision by the province is being taken to decrease the spread of COVID-19 (coronavirus). During challenging times, precautionary measures are necessary to ensure all students, staff and school communities are safe. Parents and guardians, please do not contact or visit schools tomorrow regarding belongings or other learning needs. Schools will announce a staggered schedule this week for picking up student items.
With this announcement, our focus shifts towards providing ongoing education to Northland students. We will communicate details to the families and staff once they become available.
The Government of Alberta also announced that “Every K-12 student will receive a final mark and students will progress to their next grade level next year. Provincial assessments, such as provincial achievement tests, will be cancelled. At this time, diploma exams essential for post-secondary acceptance will continue. Every student who is eligible to graduate from Grade 12 this year will graduate.”
As we move forward, the division encourages everyone to follow advice from public health officials and the federal government. In order to prevent the spread of common respiratory illnesses (such as influenza) as well as COVID-19, please continue to:
- Use good hygiene practices, such as frequent handwashing.
- Cough or sneeze into your elbow or a tissue.
- Dispose of tissues immediately and wash your hands.
- Avoid touching eyes, nose and mouth with unwashed hands.
- Stay at home if you are feeling ill.
- Don’t share items that may have saliva on them such as drinking glasses and water bottles.
- Clean high touch surfaces such as taps, door knobs and countertops frequently.
- Limiting activities involving larger groups. In some schools, principals are implementing staggered breaks.
- Contact your primary health provider or Health Link by calling 811 if you have questions or concerns about your health.
Thank you for your support as we work to help keep our communities healthy and safe. The safety and security of our students and staff is always our first priority in Northland School Division. If you have any questions or would like further information, please refer to the Northland website www.nsd61.ca or contact Communications Coordinator, Curtis Walty at firstname.lastname@example.org or 780-624-2060 ext: 6183.
Dr. Nancy Spencer-Poitras
Superintendent of Schools
The Northland School Division